Monday, February 14, 2011

Always & Forever

In recent years, the art of tattooing has been on the rise. More than ever, people are choosing to go under the needle to get “inked”. These tattoos range in shapes, size, and location. Some people are going as far as tattooing themselves from head to toe, but why?

Growing up, I have always been taught that if you choose to get a tattoo, you are disrespecting your body. If I ever came home sporting a new tattoo, not only would my parents be mad beyond belief, but also I would be cut off. For some reason, tattoos are seen as more socially acceptable than in the past.  The idea of tattooing is so popular, that TLC was able to launch a television show “Miami Ink”.  This television show was not only successful, but also managed to record six seasons. Multiple people have commented on reviews that not only did they absolutely love the show, but after becoming obsessed with “Miami ink” they felt the need to go get a tattoo.  

People need to stop and think before they disrespect their bodies and get a tattoo. It is not something that will disappear overtime. It will be with you forever. 

3 comments:

  1. I think it's a personal choice. I wouldn't do it, but if someone else wants to, it's fine as long as the tattoo is not offensive. One female student a few years back had beautiful flower and vine "sleeves" on both arms, unusual at SMU. At other campuses, tattoos are far more common. It just a form of self-expression and can be very artistic. The permanence is also part of the point, and tattoos are a way of preserving a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the most part, I do agree that tattooing is disrespectful to your body. I think that getting a random skull and crossbones tattoo is not tasteful. If it does not have any type of meaning, why would you want it on your body for the rest of your life? However, I think that if you get a tattoo that stands for something, then it is ok. For example, I personally want to get a tattoo. However, I am waiting until I find something that is meaningful and I want to be on my body for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As CEC said that it is a personal choice, i completely agree with that. I see tattooing as an art and a talent. The meaning and pride some people take in the work they get done and the reasons they have tattoos is so interesting to me. I've worked with a lot of people that have tattoos and i have asked them why they got them, and the stories i've heard are so thoughtful. So, in the end i see tattoos as being a personal choice that have the opportunity to mean something more and represent a passed away family member or friend or their life story.

    ReplyDelete